Passing Out Game

Boy dies playing ‘passing out game,’ officials believe

BOISE,
Idaho (AP) — A 10-year-old boy was found dead, hanging from a tree,
apparently killed while trying to get high by playing the “pass-out
game,” authorities said.

Dalton Eby may be the second Idaho
child killed in recent months while playing a choking game, trying to
cut off the oxygen supply to the brain to achieve a type of “high.”

Dalton’s
mother reported him missing last Thursday when he failed to return home
after visiting a friend. Search and rescue crews found his body Friday
in a tree near his Island Park home, the Fremont County sheriff’s
office said in a statement.

There was nothing at the scene suggesting that anyone else was involved, the sheriff’s office said.

“During
the course of the investigation it was learned that there is a game
that is common knowledge to many of our youth. A game known as the
‘pass-out game,’ the ‘fainting game,’ the ‘tingling game,’ or the
‘something dreaming game’ — to name a few,” the statement added.

Dalton’s parents had never heard of the game, and neither had the parents of his friends, the sheriff’s office said.

That
was also the case three months ago in Nampa, where 13-year-old Chelsea
Dunn was found dead after apparently hanging herself in her closet.

An
investigation was inconclusive, but Dunn’s family believes she died
accidentally while playing the game, which was popular with a group of
girls at her school. Six girls at the school were suspended for a day
after a security camera videotape showed the seventh-graders choking
each other in a hallway.

Though the so-called game is new to many
adults, it’s likely something that children have been doing for a long
time, said Connecticut-based child psychologist Dr. Lawrence Shapiro,
author of “The Secret Language of Children: How to Understand What Your
Kids are Really Saying.”

“That’s scary,” Shapiro said.

In
addition to talking to kids about drugs and alcohol, parents should
discuss other risky behavior, like the pass-out game, Shapiro said.

“Younger kids don’t know that they can die from this, that it’s a very dangerous activity,” Shapiro said.

Nathan
Hoiosen, a school resource officer with the Nampa Police Department,
said youngsters think the choking game offers a safe buzz compared with
drinking or doing drugs.

“You wish you could just take the kids and shake them and say, ‘What are you thinking?”‘ Hoiosen said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

About papillion

Intense Often Moody Transparent Exquisitely sensitive Animated Never satisfied Curious Eternal Romantic Creative Devotedly Christian Encouraging Multi-layered Loving Quick Judge Critical Forever evolving View all posts by papillion

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: